I’m down to five circles at AncestryDNA, I have been removed from 9 since my last posting on 12 January. The circles are still in beta and I’m not certain what has changed because my tree remains the same (my initial circle post can be read on this page where more about the circles is explained). My current circles are (the ones I was in and from which I have been removed are shown with lines through them):
James Rampley (1803 Harford County, Maryland-1884 Hancock County, Illinois) and wife Elizabeth Chaney(1804 Bedford County, Pennsylvania–1883 Hancock County, Illinois)-3 members in each.
- Hinrich Jacobs Fecht (1823 Wiesens, Ostfriesland, Germany-1912 Hancock County, Illinois) and second wife
Maria Gerdes Wilken (Bruns) Fecht(1831 Wiesens- before 1877 Hancock County)–was 4 for Hinrich–now up to 6 and 7 for Maria. Christianna (DeMoss) Rampley (born in the early 1770s probably in Harford County, Maryland–19 members of this circle–6 more than before. Augusta Newman (died 1861 White County, Indiana)–8 members of the circle.
- Johann Luken Jurgens Ehmen Goldenstein (born 1814 Wrisse, Ostfriesland, Germany and his wife Tjade Anna Focken (Tammen) Goldenstein (born 1824 Buhren, Ostfriesland, Germany)–still 3 in both circles.
- Hinrich Janssen Ufkes (born 1797 Ostfriesland, Germany) and the circle for his wife Trientje Eilts (Post) Ufkes (born 1803 Wiesens, Ostfriesland, Germany). There are still 9 in Hinrich’s circle (was 8) and still 8 in Trientje’s circle (was 7).
Riley Rampley (born 1835 Coshocton County, Ohio) and the circle for his wife Nancy Jane (Newman) Rampley (born 1846 Rush County, Indiana)–3 in both circles. Johann Friederichs Hinrichs Ufkes (born 1838 Wiesens, Ostfriesland, Germany) and the circle for his wife Noentje Lena (Grass) Ufkes (born 1848 Backemoor, Ostfriesland, Germany)–Johann’s circle as 4 and Noentje’s circle has 3.
The number in Hinrich Fecht’s circle has increased to 6 and the others remain the same. For what it is worth, I’ve been removed from every circle based upon my great-grandmother Neill’s ancestry (The Rampleys and the Newmans). I’m out of the Johann and Noentje (Grass) Ufkes circle, but still in the one for his parents (Hinrich and Trientje [Post] Ufkes).
I had been using the circle information to help sort my results. I’m now suggesting users save their circle information when they have it–in case it goes away.
- you get in circles if your tree is tied to your DNA results–the tree can be private
- you must share DNA with at least one person in the circle
- the trees are not perfect–if you don’t share with one other you will not be in the circle
One gets in circles due to the results of the DNA test and having a tree attached to the DNA results. The trees are the key to connecting you to the circle. If one circle member makes their tree private or chooses to connect another tree to their results–your circle will change.