One Gill Cup

“1 Broken Mug one Gill Cup One bowl”

Some readers might wonder what type of cup a “gill cup” is. The gill is referring to the size of the cup, not some special design or anything else. A gill is a unit of measure equal to one half cup.

This image comes from Harford County, Maryland, Estate Inventories 1777-1804, page 270–the estate inventory of Ann Gibson.

The inventory of Ann’s chattel estate is interesting. Often googling items will help with interpretations.

Estate inventories are great fun.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.