We are really excited to continue our offerings on AncestryDNA.
I am not employed by Ancestry.com and these presentations are not endorsed nor sponsored by Ancestry.com.
- “AncestryDNA Beginnings”–getting started and an overview–see details below
- “Working With Your AncestryDNA Matches”–getting started with matches–see details below
- “Sifting Through Your AncestryDNA Matches” (NEW)—analyzing matches and sorting through convoluted and complicated families–see details below
This hour-long presentation covers the basics of working with DNA matches at AncestryDNA, including:
- ethnicity estimate–briefly
An overview of working with your matches, interpreting them, understanding them, analyzing them and organizing them is presented. Challenges of working with treeless matches, matches with incomplete trees, people who don’t respond, etc. are also discussed. This is a practical how-to session that also includes an overview of DNA and inheritance sufficient to work with the AnestryDNA results without being overwhelming. Comments included:
it was a very helpful overview and I appreciated the tips
Download is immediate and includes handout and video/audio presentation. Presentation and handout are for personal use only. Orders can be processed securely here (a PayPal account is not necessary–just click through to use a major credit card). Presentation can be played multiple times and is not streamed.
This session is no longer offered live.
Beginning Working with Your AncestryDNA Matches
This webinar focused solely on using, interpreting, and understanding AncestryDNA matches.
We will not discuss the ethnic “pie” on AncestryDNA and it is assumed attendees understand that siblings do not share all their DNA and may have different “ethnic percents” from each other.
The “Working With Your AncestryDNA Matches” session builds on my “AncestryDNA Beginnings” webinar. Those who have not worked with their DNA matches at Ancestry.com and are unfamiliar with DNA results may benefit from viewing that presentation.
What We Will Do
We will see in “Working With Your AncestryDNA Matches” how to download the matches so your work with them can be tracked and analyzed, preventing “going in circles” when using your matches,” how to develop strategies to figure out “how matches are related” (as best as can be done), how to download your actual DNA data so that it can be uploaded to other sites, problem-solving with the DNA matches, and more (within hour long time frame). Practical examples will be demonstrated. We will be technical enough to explain things but not so much as to overwhelm.
- Order “Working with AncestryDNA Matches” (recording and handout) for immediate download.
- Order “Working with AncestryDNA Matches” and “Beginning Work with AncestryDNA Matches” together (recording and handouts included).
- LIVE SESSION! This session “Working With AncestryDNA Matches” will be offered again live on 24 September 2017 at 8:00 pm central time. Register here for the 24 September 2017 session.
Sifting Through Your AncestryDNA Matches
This session assumes listeners/attendees have a basic understanding of what AncestryDNA offers, how to navigate their AncestryDNA matches, how to track working with their matches, what shared matches are and are not, and have already done some work with with their AncestryDNA matches–at least having worked through their first/second cousins matches at least once to determine connections where possible. If you have not yet played with your matches, this session is not for you.
In this session we will work through several extended examples based on Michael’s own research. This will include a relatively straightforward example, families that have multiple relationships, and families from areas where “they’ve lived there for hundreds of years” and the shared relationships are distant and unknown. The importance of sifting out (where possible) and tracking will be emphasized. Our focus is on process and analysis–not in making you a geneticist.
- Live attendance. This session will be offered live on 1 October 2017 at 8 pm central time–register to attend live and receive a complimentary download afterwards.
- Can’t attend live? Pre-order a download of the session and handout only. A recording of the session and handout will be available by 3 October 2017. This order does not include live attendance and is for those who are unable to attend live.
Join our mailing list to receive updates when the recorded versions of these presentations are available.