Registration ends 10 Sept.
17 September – 15 October
Based upon several requests, I have added a class on AncestryDNA to start on 17 September and run through 15 October. Please read and review the information before registering or ordering. Last minute registration is not suggested so that registrants who need time to prepare have that time.
17 September – 15 October. Registration limited. Early registration is encouraged so that you have time to review your results, review the prerequisites, and do the “between registration and class starting” activities before our class starts. The first time you really look at your results should be well before class starts–not the morning class starts. The online discussion will remain open after class is over and Michael will monitor it for at least a week after the last session.
- Online lectures are on Monday evenings at 8:00 pm central. Discussions are recorded and will be available for download for those who can’t attend live or have attendance issues while the session is in progress. Attendees can download lectures after the presentation for review and replay as often as necessary. Handout included.
- Private Facebook group for class members–membership optional. Material posted to the Facebook group may be copied with the members of the Google group at the discretion of the instructor. This particularly applies to questions and discussion that could benefit all members of the class.
- Private Google Group for class members–membership required. This facilitates the sending of group messages and communication.
- Understanding what can and cannot be learned from the AncestryDNA test
- Strategies for “figuring out” people who do not return communication
- Probability of relationship based on shared DNA and relationship scenarios not presented
- Downloading AncestryDNA matches into an Excel spreadsheet and working with those matches and that spreadsheet
- Determining what matches you want to try and figure out
- Tracking results and findings
- Looking at the results when the grandfather was an adoptee who wasn’t the birth father of one of his children
- Analyzing tree for ethnic/geographic pools
- Sorting matches that can’t be determined specifically
- Keeping your list of matches up to date
This is the general order of topics. Specific topics and the dates for those topics will be announced closer to the beginning of the class–the schedule will be slightly modified based upon student interest, level of understanding certain concepts, etc. Our goal is to present material so that it can be understood, not see how fast I can talk. All topics will be covered.
These sessions will include different examples than were used in the webinars and assumes that students already have a working knowledge of DNA and basic match analysis.
Homework for this course is optional, but an understanding of the tools discussed and a growth in analytical ability will be enhanced if homework is completed. Homework will fall into two categories:
- same questions/prompts asked of everyone
- homework based on student’s individual results
- You have received your completed AncestryDNA results.
- A general understanding of autosomal DNA-“While Waiting” will help with this and registrants will be given links to sites with additional information a few weeks before the class starts.
- A genealogy tree that is at least partially complete–you are not required to upload your tree and attach it to your results.
Between registration and class starting:
- Review your AncestryDNA results if you have not already done so. This is important.
- Read the “While Waiting” post and work on “while waiting” activities that you have not already done.
- class only–for those who do not need or want previous presentations ($55).
- class and four previous AncestryDNA presentations (“Waiting for Autosomal Results,” “AncestryDNA Beginnings,” “Beginning Working with Your AncestryDNA Matches,” and “Sifting Through Your AncestryDNA Matches”). Download links to these four presentations sent within twenty-four hours. Handouts included. View as often as you need. ($110)
- Order any of the previous AncestryDNA presentations individually (these do not include class registration which is a separate purchase):
You do not need to order the other presentations to sign up for the class. They are helpful to get you started with your results if you have not already done that, but they do not need to be purchased. We just do not want you starting the class without having some background (even if it’s minimal).