These were my “not New Year’s Resolutions” from 2015—but they are worth repeating.
I’m not big on resolutions so I won’t make them. Instead we’ll take a different approach to the new year.
Here are some research suggestions to remember in 2015:
- Use contemporary [to the problem] maps
- Cite sources
- Avoid using record transcriptions
- Determine a record’s likely informant
- Question the reliability of the likely informant
- Ask “how did this record get to me from its original location?”
- Question (respectfully) the conclusions of others
- List the assumptions that have been made
- Reorganize the information in a different way?
- Do other record sources have copies of the same record?