[reprinted from old blog site on 20 May 2015–with some additions]
I use the online trees for the occasional clue. However in reviewing many of these trees while searching for research leads this week, I was reminded that apparently not everyone is aware of the following:
- People do not marry after they die.
- People do not have children after they are dead.
- People are not born before their parents.
- People do not marry before their parents are born.
- The letters “bef” in front of a date matter.
- The letters “aft” in front of a date matter.
- The letters “about” in front of a date matter.
- Do not use “unk” for a last name
- Do not use “unknown” for a last name
- Do not use “Mrs.” for a first name
Note: A reader pointed out that men can have children born up to around nine months after they are dead. That’s correct. Nine years afterwards is a bit much though!
2 thoughts on “Some Simple Things”
toni fenton says:
I can add one to the list…
Children do not usually marry their parents!
Susan Swindell says:
People do not have children after they are dead.
Mother yes but father no. A child can be born after his father’s death.