I’m starting to think that Ancestry DNA’s “circles” are going in circles.
On 30 August I was in ten circles on AncestryDNA. Circles are “descendant groups” based on the DNA submissions and submitted trees of AncestryDNA users. The circles are in “beta.”
I’m now in seven circles (I’ve been kicked out of the Noentje Lena (Grass) Ufkes circle):
- Christianna (DeMoss) Rampley (born in the early 1770s probably in Harford County, Maryland.
- Hinrich Janssen Ufkes (born 1797 Ostfriesland, Germany) and the circle for his wife Trientje Eilts (Post) Ufkes(born 1803 Wiesens, Ostfriesland, Germany)
Riley Rampley (born 1835 Coshocton County, Ohio) and the circle for his wife Nancy Jane (Newman) Rampley(born 1846 Rush County, Indiana)[I’ve been removed from this circle twice and put in it twice].
- Johann Friederichs Hinrichs Ufkes (born 1838 Wiesens, Ostfriesland, Germany)
- Johann Luken Jurgens Ehmen Goldenstein (born 1814 Wrisse, Ostfriesland, Germany and his wife Tjade Anna Focken (Tammen) Goldenstein (born 1824 Buhren, Ostfriesland, Germany)
- Augusta Newman (died 1861 White County, Indiana)
Noentje Lena (Grass) Ufkes (born 1848 Backemoor, Ostfriesland, Germany).
I understand why it takes a while to get into a circle. What I don’t understand is why I’m getting kicked out once I’m in. My DNA has not changed (obviously) and my online tree has only had names added to it–none were removed. I don’t have any less faith in the accuracy of my tree than I did before.
It’s the “circles” I’m starting to wonder about.